88-year-old Lois Moreland died after being left unattended in a whirlpool
bath for 8 hours, at St. Sophia Health and Rehabilitation Center in Florissant.
This tragedy occurred as a result of flagrant negligence on the part of
St. Sophia’s staff, as Moreland was usually given a bath prior to
going to sleep. In this instance, the nursing assistant forgot she was
in the bath and left her there for over 8 hours. When they found her at
4:30 A.M., her dead body was found in a tub of cool water, the jets still running.
Cases of nursing home negligence such as Moreland’s occur far more
often than people believe. Whether these nursing homes are grossly understaffed,
overbooked, or simply not upholding a sufficient standard of care, countless
patients and their families consequently suffer. Unfortunately, this isn’t
St. Sophia’s first encounter with this kind of scandal, as a fire
started just a couple of years prior to this incident, as well a history
of negligent behavior towards residents.
After an extensive inspection conducted by the government, the nursing
home was deemed unsafe for all residents of the facility. Marked as in
immediate jeopardy, the nursing home was fined nearly $40,000 and is required
to file a plan of correction to prevent these kinds of instances from
ever occurring again. Moreland’s son is seeking damages as a result
of his mother’s untimely death.
Contact Our Greenville Personal Injury Lawyers Today
At Christian & Davis LLC, we refuse to sit back and do nothing as these
horrific tragedies continue to occur. Our Greenville personal injury lawyers
are dedicated to helping protect and advocate on behalf of the innocent,
as we feel a personal sense of moral duty to do so. If you or a loved
one has suffered an injury or accident due to no fault of your own, we
want to help. Nursing home negligence is absolutely unacceptable, and
we intend to hold those in charge responsible for their dangerous actions.
Don’t hesitate to contact us at your earliest convenience by calling